About 25% of men who struggle with male pattern baldness begin the process before they reach age 21.1 Aging and genetics play a role in hair loss, but it is possible to slow the rate of this loss and potentially speed up male hair growth by making some small tweaks to your routine.
Whether you’re noticing the first signs of hair loss like a receding hairline or balding at the back of the head, or you’ve lost a significant amount of hair already, read on to find out what you can do to help hair grow faster and thicker, starting today.
What Causes Hair Loss In Men?
There are a number of contributing factors to hair loss, but these are the most common:
- Aging: According to the National Library of Medicine, nearly everyone experiences some hair loss with aging.2 The rate of hair growth also slows as hair follicles become smaller and lose their pigment. Some of these follicles will stop producing new hairs.
- Genetics: If hair loss runs in your family, there is a greater chance you will experience baldness. Studies indicate more than 80 percent of people with noticeable balding had a father who also experienced hair loss.3 There is also evidence that changes to the AR gene on the X chromosome may be related to male pattern baldness.4
- Hormones: DHT, a hormone, is another major contributor to hair loss. When levels of this hormone are too high, your hair follicles shrink and shorten the hair growth cycle, resulting in hair loss. The prescription drug finasteride and the herb saw palmetto help to block the conversion of testosterone into DHT, which makes them noteworthy hair loss treatments.Foundation Skincare’s UnTangled Hair Supplement is formulated with optimal amounts of saw palmetto to help minimize hair loss due to DHT.
- Lifestyle: Unhealthy lifestyle habits may also increase your risk of hair loss. This includes smoking, drinking, stress, and lack of adequate sleep.5
How To Make Male Hair Grow Faster
While hair loss is reversible to a degree, it’s best to take action at the first signs of balding. This is why it’s never too early to take a supplement or adjust your lifestyle habits to support healthy hair. It’s also never too late to encourage new growth.
If you are already experiencing hair loss or hair thinning, you may want to consider taking Foundation Skincare UnTangled Hair Supplement, which contains vitamins, minerals, herbs and acids proven to re-energize the hair growth cycle for stronger and fuller hair. The supplement also includes saw palmetto, which helps to prevent testosterone from converting to DHT to stop further hair loss. UnTangled helps to address deficiencies in your diet while also giving your body the building blocks it needs for optimal growth.
The results of UnTangled are comparable to using medications like minoxidil, which is the active ingredient in Rogaine®, or finasteride. However, some people choose not to use these medications due to their side effects. While Minoxidil helps boost growth by increasing the time spent in the growth phase of the hair cycle, and by stimulating blood circulation, it is associated with an initial period of hair shedding and hypersensitivity.6 Finasteride is another popular medication, which blocks the conversion of testosterone to DHT to stop hair loss. But this medication is also associated with sexual side effects and potential changes in mood.7
Some less invasive ways to attempt slowing hair loss and speeding up hair growth in men include the following:
1. Don’t Wash Hair Everyday
Having clean hair is crucial to maintaining scalp health, as long as you don’t overdo it. Overwashing thinning hair can cause damage, especially if your shampoo or conditioner contains harsh chemical ingredients. Without the natural oils your scalp produces, hair may become brittle, dry, and prone to breaking.
2. Use a Leave-In Conditioner
Using a leave-in conditioner coats the hair shaft and makes it less likely to break, which can be useful for dry or damaged hair. Adding moisture can also make thinning hair appear fuller while providing protection from UV radiation. When hair is not conditioned properly, you may experience increased shedding and breakage.
3. Keep Up the Protein Intake
Studies show a lack of protein in the diet contributes to hair loss because hair follicles are mostly made of protein.8 Easy protein choices are poultry, fish, dairy products, nuts, legumes, and eggs. Eggs are also a good source of biotin, which plays a key role in keratin production.
4. Vitamins & Minerals
We already mentioned biotin above, which you can obtain from adding eggs to your diet, but there are a number of other vitamins and minerals proven to support healthy hair (and which can all be found in Foundation Skincare UnTangled Hair Supplement). These include:
- Vitamin A: Fights free radical damage and improves hair moisture
- Vitamin C: Helps to build collagen and aids in the absorption of iron
- Vitamin D3: Works to create new hair follicles
- Iron: Brings oxygen to the follicles for hair growth and health
- Niacin: Improves circulation to increase the amount of oxygen and nutrients to hair follicles
- Folic acid: Helps with the keratinization of hair as it is growing
- Selenium: Supports hormone health to defend against hormone-related hair loss
5. Use a Hair Serum
Using a topical treatment can help provide your scalp and hair with essential nutrients while boosting circulation. Foundation Skincare’s Hair Serum helps to reduce hair loss with a custom blend of herbs like saw palmetto extract, apple stem cell, and olive leaf extract. The serum is also clinically-proven to stimulate hair stem cells to encourage new growth and prevent further loss. Paired with Foundation Skincare UnTangled Hair Supplement, the serum is a powerful addition to your hair care routine.
6. Daily Scalp Massage
Scalp massages don’t just feel good–they can also help your hair grow faster. One 2019 study of people with alopecia found that those who got daily scalp massages reported a boost in hair regrowth.9 Researchers believe this was due to greater circulation, which helps deliver nutrients that encourage hair growth.
Dealing with hair loss can be stressful, but there are things you can do to slow its progression and speed up hair growth:
- Implement hair care techniques like using leave-in conditioner and washing your hair less.
- Up your intake of protein and get more vitamins and minerals from a well-varied diet. Use a daily supplement to fill in the gaps.
- Treat yourself to daily scalp massages using a powerful hair serum formulated to improve hair loss.