With an overwhelming amount of hair supplements available on the market, it’s hard knowing which one will work best for you. In order to help you find your perfect match, we’re going to delve into everything you need to know about two of the most popular formulas available: UnTangled Hair Supplements and Nutrafol products for men and women.
These non-prescription supplements are both created to target hair loss and support general hair and scalp health, but there are some notable differences between the two. Let’s dive into all of the nitty gritty details of UnTangled Hair Supplements vs. Nutrafol so that you can pick the formula that best fits your needs.
The dermatologist-formulated UnTangled Hair Supplement was created to target hair loss in both men and women. Clinically-proven vitamins, herbs, and acids work together to increase the production of keratin (a protein naturally produced by the body) to re-energize the hair growth cycle for stronger and fuller hair. The formula is rooted in science, and doesn’t contain any fillers or “fad” ingredients that haven’t been proven to be beneficial for hair support.
Nutrafol offers five hair growth formulas that are tailored to meet the specific needs of men and women throughout different life stages: Nutrafol Women, Nutrafol Women’s Vegan, Nutrafol Postpartum for the first year after childbirth or during breastfeeding, Nutrafol Women's Balance for peri- and postmenopause, and Nutrafol Men.
The supplements contain a blend of natural, medical-grade ingredients consisting of vitamins, minerals, peptides, and plant extracts that address the root causes of hair thinning, including nutrition, stress, aging, and lifestyle factors. With regular use, Nutrafol supplements encourage fuller, faster-growing hair.
The UnTangled Hair Supplement combines science with nature in its ingredients list. Here’s a guide to what’s included in the formula:
Marine Collagen: Marine-derived collagen is packed with essential amino acids that serve as the building blocks for our own natural supply of collagen. By helping to boost collagen in the body, this ingredient improves hair growth and strength.
Vitamin A: Preformed vitamin A encourages the production of sebum, which improves hair moisture and minimizes the risk of breakage. It also works as an antioxidant to fight free radical damage.
Vitamin C: This potent antioxidant protects the hair and scalp against damaging free radicals. It’s also vital for keeping the hair full and healthy. It helps build collagen (which is necessary for growth), and also aids in the absorption of iron – a mineral that plays a key role in hair strength.
Like UnTangled Hair Supplement, Nutrafol ingredients include marine collagen, vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin E, biotin, zinc, selenium, horsetail extract, and saw palmetto. The different formulas also contain vitamin A, although it’s worth noting that it’s provitamin A – a less readily absorbed form compared to preformed vitamin A (the form in UnTangled).
Beyond these ingredients, Nutrafol products for men and women also contain the following:
Ashwagandha: This adaptogen targets hair loss tied to stress by balancing stress hormones.
Curcumin, Resveratrol, and Black Pepper: These antioxidants protect the hair and scalp against damaging free radicals. Black pepper enhances the absorption of curcumin.
Keratin and Amino Acids: These ingredients promote growth and boost hair strength, and also target damaged hair.
While the ingredients in Nutrafol Women and Nutrafol Men are the same, it should be noted that Nutrafol Men has slightly higher doses of their Synergen Complex®, which contains more saw palmetto to counteract their higher levels of DHT. Nutrafol Women, on the other hand, contains more vitamin C than the men’s formula (100 mg vs 60 mg).
How to Use Them
With UnTangled, the recommendation is to take two capsules each day with eight ounces of water. Each container contains 120 capsules, which means it’ll last you two months.
On the other hand, when using Nutrafol for hair growth, it’s recommended that you take four capsules each day with a meal. While Nutrafol also has 120 capsules per bottle, since the serving size is four capsules, it will last you only a month.
UnTangled and Nutrafol offer similar timeframes for when you can expect to start seeing changes in your hair, but keep in mind that results will vary from person to person.
For both supplements, on average, users usually start to notice new hair growth after 30 days of consistent use with full results seen in 90 days. This can include a decrease in hair shedding, as well as more voluminous hair and boosted growth rate.
UnTangled Hair Supplements vs. Nutrafol vs. Biotin
Though UnTangled and Nutrafol both contain biotin, they also contain so many other useful nutrients not found in general biotin supplements. Many people take biotin to help their hair grow, but there are a lot of misconceptions about how this B vitamin actually works and how it can help. For one, biotin supplements are undoubtedly helpful for people with biotin deficiencies, but such deficiencies are extremely rare if you follow a balanced diet.
The way biotin works for hair growth is simple: it supports the production of keratin, which is the protein responsible for the formation of nails, skin, and hair. There is also some evidence that biotin may help to regulate inflammation in the hair follicle and slow down hair loss.1 In this sense, experts speculate biotin is more helpful in preserving hair, rather than helping it grow. But, again, this is most useful in those with biotin deficiencies, which is why UnTangled contains the daily recommended amount of 30 mcg in addition to a number of other vitamins, minerals, and plant extracts that actually do support hair growth. This is a notable difference from most biotin-only supplements that typically exceed the recommended dosage and can be as high as 5,000 mcg, which can be problematic.2 Excessive biotin intake is associated with a variety of undesirable side effects like insomnia, excessive thirst, and urination.3
UnTangled Hair Supplement Reviews
Verified buyers from Foundation Skincare website:
- “I've been using this for about 2.5 months. I only take one pill a day, but my hair just feels fuller/thicker especially when using a pony tail holder. It's hard to explain, just more good hair days.” -Kerry
- “I have, however, started to see a decent turn-around not only in appearance, but also in volume. I really thought this supplement would be just another one and done disappointment; but I have to admit that I am now more hopeful than I have been in the past.” -Cynthia S.
- “Helps eliminate daily hair shedding.” -Renee R.
- “You cannot beat the quality , price and lack of side effects from the supplement. It is extremely effective and after four months of consistent use hair quality texture and thickness is noted.” -Lauren M.
Verified buyers from Amazon:4
- “My hair is definitely thicker. I also see less shedding in my brush. It took 2 months before I noticed but it is working and I'm going to keep taking it!” -Tjo
- “Seems to be making a difference. My hairdresser mentioned it before I told her I was taking it. I’ll continue to do so.” -Linda J. Alvers
- “Within 12 weeks, I saw a substantial amount of new growth sprouting from my head! My hair is thicker than it ever has been, and feels luxurious.” -RN3000
- “I lost quite a bit of hair when I caught Covid, and this is slowly helping my hair grow back. I’ve got lots of little baby hairs coming in on my temples and hairline.” -Allison
According to a review at Forbes, one of the strengths of Nutrafol is its ingredients label.5 The supplement includes medical-grade, bio-optimized botanical ingredients and the efficacy of the product has been clinically evaluated. However, the reviewer did not like having to take a “hefty dose” of four capsules a day or the high amounts of some vitamins and minerals, which may be “dangerous to certain individuals.”
Customer reviews on Amazon are mixed.6 Some customers rave that it thickened their hair after just two weeks, significantly decreased their hair shedding, and even helped their eyelashes grow. Other customers complain of adverse reactions like migraines, acne and tinnitus, or simply say the product did not produce the results they were hoping to see.
Both supplements undoubtedly contain quality, effective ingredients that help with hair loss, but they do vary in some notable ways. Here’s a quick overview of the key differences between these popular hair supplements.
- More expensive per serving at an average daily cost of approximately $2.50.
- Impressive formula, but lacking in some key science-backed ingredients known to support hair growth and health, including pantothenic acid, iron, niacin, and folic acid.
- Exceeds recommended dosage of biotin.
- Requires four capsules per day.
- Less expensive per serving at an average daily cost of approximately $1, and more servings per bottle (which means you won’t need to order as frequently).
- Well-rounded blend of high-performance vitamins and minerals that have been scientifically proven to support hair health.
- Suitable for both male and female hair loss.
- Contains the recommended amount of biotin.
- Requires two capsules per day
While both are top-quality formulas, using UnTangled Hair Supplements for hair growth is ultimately more financially feasible. UnTangled is packed with expertly chosen ingredients that are known to target hair loss in men and women and the same product can be shared by both without having to purchase separate products. , For those looking to achieve (and maintain) excellent results long-term without having to break the bank, UnTangled is the ideal choice.