What Causes Hair Loss?

Don't panic, hair loss is more common than you think for both men and women. 

What causes hair loss?

There are lots of things that cause hair to thin and fall out:

  • Medications
  • Illnesses
  • Anemia and thyroid disorders
  • Hormone replacement or loss
  • Skin problems like psoriasis
  • Genetic conditions like androgenetic alopecia
  • Chemical products like dyes and bleaches
  • Age
  • Menopause
  • Stress
  • Overstyling
  • Sudden weight loss
  • Environmental conditions
  • Malnourishment or lack of essential vitamins
  • Too much Vitamin A
  • Pregnancy

How much hair loss is normal?

Hair typically grows about 6 inches per year. A person loses about 50 to 100 strands per day. Washing your hair can cause you to lose up to 250 strands at once, but not washing it doesn’t necessarily help stop hair loss. 

Does hair ever stop growing?

Many people don’t know this, but hair can actually stop growing. Normally this is only about 10% of your hair at any one time. The other 90% is still getting longer.

There are three cycles of hair growth. The first growing cycle lasts from 2 to 8 years. Then that hair goes into a transition phase for two to three weeks. Each strand’s follicle shrinks. The non-growing phase is when your hair takes a break and rests for 2 to 4 months.